Archive for: August, 2018

Demons cap unbeaten season; Bombers fly to under-17 flag

Aug 24 2018 Published by under 南京夜网

STELLAR SEASON: Reserves premiers White Hills didn’t lose a game in 2016 and finished with a 100-point grand final win. Picture: DARREN HOWEFULL COVERAGE:HDFNL grand final 2016
Nanjing Night Net

WHITE Hills put the finishing touch to an undefeated reserves season with a dominant HDFNL grand final performance on Saturday.

The Demons crushed Heathcote by 100 points, winning 18.10 (118) to 2.6 (18) at Huntly.

Coached by Robert Nihill, White Hills were never troubled after kicking the first five goals of the game.

The win was the Demons’ third reserves premiership in the past five years.

The Saints –who had fought their way to the grand final from the elimination final –kicked their only two goals of the game in the second quarter.

The best on ground medal was won by White Hills’ Eddie Dickens, while Jasper Ibbeson-Coatsworth, Nathan Moffat, Jarrod Britain and Leigh Coates also played well.

Mitchell McLean, Luke Ring, Toby Allen and Thomas Connellybattled hard for the Saints.

Meanwhile, Leitchville-Gunbower kicked away from Lockington-Bamawm United after half-time to win the under-17s flag

The Cats led by one point after a low-scoring first half, 3.2 to 2.7.

However, it was all one way traffic in the second half as the Bombers piled on 11.5 to 1.4 to win 13.12 (90) to 4.6 (30) and claim theirsecond HDFNL under-17s flag.

Leitchville-Gunbower’s under-17 premiership team. Picture: ADAM BOURKE

The Bombers’ Mitchell McEwen (three goals) was named best on ground.

Tom Brereton, Brady Hore and Charles Hancock were other stars for the Bombers, who had Lachlan Duncan and Blake Dye kick four goals each.

James Gledhill, Thomas Wild (two goals), Callum Powell and Jedd Thompson played well for the Cats.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Comments are off for this post

Murray United hunting players

Aug 24 2018 Published by under 南京夜网

WALK IN THE PARK: Zac Walker and Ashley Dunn celebrate after Walker opened the scoring for Murray United in its 3-0 win over Nunawading City FC on Saturday. Picture: ELENOR TEDENBORG
Nanjing Night Net

Murray United FC coach James Coutts says the club will hit the playing market as it looks to bridge the gap in the National Premier League.

Although the club has a catch-up game left against Brunswick City, it is expected that match will be abandoned, thus ending United’s second year at the state level.

The home team finished on a high too, scoring a 3-0 win over Nunawading City FC.

Nunawading scored its only win in two years when it toppled Murray earlier this season.

United finished the season in second-last position, with three wins and five draws from 27 games.

It is well down on last year’s debut effort of six wins, with the Border outfit falling just short in around 10 matches.

“We had a 16-year old playing today, we’ve got 17 and 18-year olds coming on regularly now for us, it’s more of a development years.” Coutts said.

“We tried it last year with certain players, and it didn’t work.

“For us this year, I feel we’ve developed a lot of our younger players, which is important.”

Coutts says while development remains vital, United will look to pick up to three players with experience at NPL level.

“We need a few more leaders in areas to help develop these young lads,” he said.

United’s Zac Walker scored the opening goal in the 40th minute after neat work by Englishman Ashley Dunn.

Then just before half-time, classy youngster Lewis Greenwood was taken down, and Sean Pye was on target from the penalty spot.

The home team rounded out the scoring when defender Dunn produced a cracking effort for his second goal of the year.

Dunn was outstanding with his determination and competitiveness keeping the visitors under enormous pressure.

FIRST GRADE:MURRAY UNITED FC 3 (Z Walker, S Pye, A Dunn goals) d NUNAWADING CITY FC 0.UNDER 20s:MURRAY UNITED FC 1 (S Ellwood goal) d NUNAWADING CITY FC 0.This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Comments are off for this post

Dubious penalty cruels Knights

Aug 24 2018 Published by under 南京夜网

Dubious penalty cruels Knights TweetFacebook Dragons down Knights at the deathPictures: Getty ImagesNEWCASTLE will have to wait another six months to snapa club-record losing streak after their worst-ever season ended in further anguish against St George Illawarra at Kogarah Oval on Saturday.
Nanjing Night Net

After a brave fightback to level scores at 26-all, the Knights were shattered by a last-minute penalty that allowed Dragons skipper Gareth Widdop to kick the matchwinning goal.

It was their18thconsecutive defeat and left them with just one win and draw from 24 games –the leanest return from any team since Gold Coast Seagulls in 1993.

With the game in the balance, referee Henry Perenara penalised retiring Knightsveteran Jeremy Smith for hinderingDragons winger Kurt Mann in a play-the-ball.

From 38metres out, right in front, Widdop landed the two-pointer.

Knights coach Nathan Brown, usually loath to criticise match officials, was unable to hide his disappointment.

“In the context of the game, she was no penalty, that one,’’ Brown said.

“Not that it lost us the game, but it wasn’t a penalty at all. You could find a thousand of them.’’

Smith suggested he was hard done by.“He put the ball on my foot,’’ he said. “I was just getting up. That’s the story of our year, though.’’

It was a cruel finish for 36-year-old Smith, appearing in his 214th andlast NRL game after a career that kicked off 14 seasons ago.

The Knights burst out of the blocks to lead 10-0, but the Dragons held a 22-10 advantage by half-time.

ADane Gagai try early in the second half reducedthe deficit to 22-14, then Peter Mata’utia scoredand at 22-20 it was anyone’s game.

When Dragons wingerJason Nightingale dived over in the 58thminute to pick up his second try,the Dragons had the inside running.

But the Knights refused to concede defeat and a 72nd-minute try by back-rower Mitch Barnett, converted by co-captain TrentHodkinson, locked scores up at 26-all.

Knights playmaker Jarrod Mullen had a field goal charged down two minutes from full-time, then Smith conceded his fateful penalty.

Brown admitted the ball should have gone to Hodkinson, rather than Mullen, for the field goal attempt.

He was left lamenting the four tries Newcastle conceded in the first half.

“In a 15-minute window, we basically lost the game,” Brown said.

The much-publicised captain’s challenge trial proved to be a non-event, as neither team asked for a review from the video-referee bunker.

BITTER PILL: The Knights lost their 18th successive game on Saturday.

Comments are off for this post

No silverware leaves bitter taste for beaten Bombers

Aug 24 2018 Published by under 南京夜网

DEJECTED: For the second year in a row Leitchville-Gunbower has come up short on grand final day against North Bendigo after being the best team of the home and away season. Picture: GLENN DANIELS
Nanjing Night Net

FULL COVERAGE:HDFNL grand final 2016

THIRTY-one wins from 36 games over the past two seasons, but no silverware to show for it.

That’s the frustrating reality for Leitchville-Gunbower after the Bombers again came up short against North Bendigo in the Heathcote District Football-Netball League grand final for the second year in a row.

Last year it was by 10 points, on Saturday it was by 20 as the Bombers –who rode a 15-game winning streak into the grand final at Huntly –were beaten 14.18 (102) to 13.4 (82).

“We got chopped up through the middle of the ground today…we average 60 to 70 inside 50s a game, but had just 36 today,” dejected Bombers coach Matt Hawken said.

“We didn’t give our forwards enough opportunities, and the second quarter was probably as bad as we’ve played this year.”

While the Bombers kicked threegoals in the second quarter, they all came in time-on after they had been unable to get the ball inside 50 for the first 19 minutes as they were plagued by turnovers.

“Too many players didn’t play well today and that’s something we’ve got to address,” Hawken said.

“You’ve got to play well on the big stage, but full credit to North Bendigo.

“We were outplayed today by the better side and to me as a coach, that’s really frustrating.

“It’s a bitter pill today because of the way we played.”

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Comments are off for this post

China, United States ratify Paris climate change agreement

Aug 24 2018 Published by under 南京夜网

Hangzhou: The world’s two biggest polluters, the United States and China, have formally ratified the Paris agreement to curb climate change in a joint announcement ahead of the G20 summit in Hangzhou.
Nanjing Night Net

The joint declaration, made by US President Barack Obama and Chinese President Xi Jinping in what is likely their final meeting before a new president enters the White House early next year, is a major stride toward the global accord being put in force by the end of the year.

“This is not a fight that any one country no matter how powerful can take alone,” Mr Obama said alongside Mr Xi just hours after touching down in China on Saturday afternoon.

“Some day we may see this as the moment that we finally decided to save our planet.”

Mr Xi called on other countries at the G20 summit to follow China’s lead and ratify the Paris agreement.

“Our response to climate change bears on the future of our people and the wellbeing of mankind,” he said.

The long-term cooperation on climate change between the two economic superpowers has represented a bright spot in what has otherwise been a tense relationship between the two men, overshadowed by disagreements over the South China Sea, accusations of cyber-espionage and trade disputes.

The two leaders had made previous joint statements on climate change at international summits in an effort to spur global action.

“Despite our differences on other issues we hope that our willingness to work together on this issue will inspire greater ambition and greater action around the world,” Mr Obama said.

The Paris accord, agreed to in December, is the world’s first comprehensive climate agreement which commits countries to cut emissions enough to keep the global average rise in temperatures below 2 degrees Celsius compared with pre-industrial levels.

It will come into force only after it is ratified by at least 55 countries, which produce between them at least 55 per cent of global carbon emissions.

Until Saturday, only 23 had done so among the 175 signatories, including France and a number of island states threatened by rising sea levels but only contribute tiny amounts to global carbon emissions. China and US alone are responsible to almost 40 per cent of total emissions worldwide.

Ratifying the agreement also accords with Beijing’s domestic political agenda of having to be seen to clean up the environment after years of breakneck industrial development leading to severe air, water and soil pollution.

The Australian government said Wednesday it would seek to ratify the Paris Agreement on climate change by the end of the year. It has set a 2030 emissions reduction target of 26 to 28 per cent below 2005 levels.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Comments are off for this post